It’s SO easy to say yes to someone, especially if they are scary, or you don’t want a fuss, and then later you either decide not to do it or you add it to your mental list but just don’t get around to it. You MEANT to do it but there was too much other stuff taking up your time. Maybe one day you’ll will still get around to it, you haven’t decided not to.
- “Maybe they’ll forget / not notice?”
- “They can always chase me up….”
These are the things we tell ourselves.
But saying yes and not doing something is NEVER OK!
You’ll get caught one time in ten – which then freaks them out because now they can’t trust you, ever, about anything!
Really it’s only one up from lying
In this video I explore the options in more detail:
- What if you said yes at the time and then later you realise that you can’t do it after all?
- What if they are a bully, or a scary customer, or a boss who you can’t really say no to?
- What if everybody ELSE says yes and doesn’t do things?
- What if you might get around to doing it, you’re not sure?
- Is it OK to think “If they chase me up then that shows they really want it, THEN I’ll do it” ?
- What if you did genuinely intend to do it but you forgot?
See the video for the answers.
Make it a rule for yourself (and others you work with) that you always keep your promises!For more tips like this, get my Tip of the Month, free, add yourself to the club here