Here’s a promise you could make to your team, a commitment to be the best boss you can be.
Do you have the guts to print it out and put it on your office wall?
Following Chris Croft’s management course, I will attempt to manage my team (and work with my colleagues) using the following principles:
1. To keep everyone as informed as possible on current and future events in the rest of the company. If necessary I will take time to find out this information so that I can then pass it on to my team.
2. To involve my team in my decisions wherever possible.
3. If they cannot be involved, then to explain the reasons behind all decisions.
4. To allow as many decisions as possible to be made by my team, rather than by me.
5. To receive problems with a positive attitude when they are reported to me.
6. To give people encouragement even if they fail.
7. To make sure that my team know that I appreciate their particular special talents and abilities
8. To let them know that I am aware of the occasions when they “go the extra mile”.
I will take any reminders from my team members that I have temporarily lapsed from the above in a constructive spirit – in fact I will welcome them as a means of keeping me on course toward developing better habits,
PS To any other managers who read this: would you like to make a copy for your office wall? If not, why not?