Do the full Cabbage and you’ll have excellent communication in your organization:
- Cascade down from the top – set up a system to do this regularly
- Accessible – so they can they come to you – open door / friendly / give time when asked
- Be seen everywhere every day (Management By Walking About)
- Blog / Newsletter / Put notices up – publish your opinion in a bit of detail, regularly
- Address the troops once a year, everyone in one big group, on how the company is doing and that the plans are for the coming year
- Go back to the floor once a year – do a menial (and ideally unpleasant) job, to show willing and to learn / remind yourself what it’s really like. You’ll be amazed how out of touch you’ve become.
- Every week: team meetings x2 – one for you and your colleagues run by your boss, and one for the team that reports to you, with you running it.
onwards and upwards!