Management: What managers should DO every day, week, month and year (Instant Guides)
Many managers are reactive – they just turn up to work each day and solve problems. But what about being ahead of the game, controlling events rather than reacting to them? That’s the dream!
This book has two parts. The first part is about what you, as a manager, should be doing every day, every week, every month and every year, in order to be ahead of the game. The second section lists the questions you should be asking yourself, and should be able to answer, in order to be completely in control and optimising your results – they aren’t easy!
The first part includes:
- management by walking about
- thanking people
- team and project progress meetings
- making appraisal goals happen
- going back to the floor
The second part includes
- What would happen if we put our price up a bit?
- What are our competitors planning
- How much time are we spending on meetings?
- What would it cost, and what would we save, if we increased our quality?
- Leadership and motivation – are you doing it right?
- How effective is your use of your time
- What extra tasks can’t be delegated, and are you sure?
- Operational efficiency – can we reduce lead times and waste, and increase throughput
- What is the 20% that contributes 80% of our costs?
- Communication – could it be improved? How is it measured?
…and many more tricky but useful and important questions.