What would I recommend thinking about as we enter a new decade?
Here are some thoughts:
– put your prices up, you’ll lose fewer customers than you think, and the ones you lose will be the ones that are high maintenance and therefore the least profitable or maybe even loss-making anyway
– get rid of employees who are “OK but not inspiring” – your team is only as good as the weakest link, so you need everyone to be GREAT. Good enough is not good enough
– make a list of objectives, and then make each one a project – work out a plan for how you will get there, what are the steps required and who will do them? And then have a think:- do you have the resources in order to do ALL of them, and if not, which ones will be top priority and which ones will you have to leave till next year?
– think about delegating more! How can delegate one more thing to each person who works for you? – motivation review: is everyone who works for you HAPPY? are they learning, do they have at least one challenge they have been given to work on, do they have ownership of something that is specifically theirs, and have you thanked them recently?
– if you’re a business owner / partner and over 40, what’s your exit plan? how any years till you exit, and how will you get there? What will you start doing in 2020 to start on this exit plan?
– everything is going online – what new things can you do to make your website great, to use social media, to use google better, to use online videos, do you know about Infusionsoft/Hubspot??
– customer service: what are you doing to delight your customers, to amaze them with how good you are, to be better than all your competitors, to be the best? Can you harvest some ideas from your team, and from the best competitors you have in your industry?
- what did I miss?
- onwards and upwards!